Have you been wanting to learn a new language and you just can’t decide which would be the most useful language to learn? Or you know you want to learn Chinese but you need some motivation to start? Well here are ten great reasons to learn Chinese today!
- Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world. If you’re going to learn a new language, it might as well be the language that will help you to communicate with the most people! More than one billion people in the world speak Chinese, all over the world. If you become one of those Chinese speakers, it will open the door to new friends and relationships, which is always a good thing!
- Each language that you learn helps you to pick up new languages more quickly. By studying Chinese, you will soon be on your way to becoming a polyglot.
- Chinese culture has been around for thousands of years, and is one of the most ancient and rich cultures. If you are interested in history and culture, learning Chinese will help you to more fully appreciate this amazing culture.
- Studying a foreign language actually helps to improve your knowledge of your own language! Your vocabulary skills in your native language will increase and you’ll have a better grasp of grammar. Amazing!
- Learning Chinese will open the door to traveling around the world! Chinese is an official language in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau, and is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Additionally, there are Chinese speakers in every country of the world!
- You’ll be better at making decisions! Did you know that when you deliberate over a decision in a language that is not your native language, you will be able to make a more clear-headed decision? Deliberating in a different language helps you to distance yourself from emotional responses. Learning to think through decisions in Chinese will help you in all aspects of your life.
- China has one of the largest and fastest growing economies in the world. No matter what field you are in, there is a good chance that a good grasp of Chinese will be a boost to your career. Plus it just looks nice on a resume. Here are some Chinese language jobs.
- Learning a new language is a confidence boost. Speaking a new language in front of native speakers might be nerve-wracking, but the sense of accomplishment you will feel when they can understand you can’t be beat! Plus all your monolingual friends will be impressed with you.
- The tools are there! Access to learning Chinese is better than it has ever been before. There are immersion schools for young children, study abroad programs, and tons of apps, like Du Chinese, none of which existed 15 years ago! Additionally with social media it’s easier than ever to practice with native speakers. There are so many tools available, why wouldn’t you start learning Chinese?
- Chinese is fun!
There are so many good reasons to learn Chinese, and these were just a few of the big ones. Remember that learning a language is for life, not just for your career, a trip that you plan to take, or so that you can order easier at your favorite restaurant. If you learn Chinese it will benefit you in ways that you can’t comprehend. Much more than can be listed here.
Bonus: With over a billion people speaking Chinese there are books, TV shows, movies, music and other media that you can enjoy after learning Chinese. There are literally stories that date back thousands of years – some of which you can read about on Du Chinese! By learning Chinese you can access all of that knowledge and entertainment.